Keep Your Puppy Safe

Foods That Can Harm Dogs and Emergency Help

We all love our furry friends, but sometimes their curiosity can get them into trouble. Here’s some information to help you navigate the minefield of dangerous foods and household items that could harm your dog. Remember, a safe dog is a happy dog!

Foods to Avoid

What foods are dangerous for my puppy?

Items with an asterisk (*) are fatal (even in small quantities) and require immediate medical attention.

*Chocolate: Chocolate is a delight for humans but a disaster for dogs. Theobromine, a compound in chocolate, can cause vomiting, rapid breathing, and even seizures in dogs. Keep the chocolate stash high and out of reach, no matter how persuasive those puppy eyes can be.

*Grapes and Raisins: These tiny fruits can cause big problems, like kidney failure. Even a small amount can be toxic.

*Caffeine: Your morning coffee might wake you up, but it can make your dog hyperactive, restless, and can even lead to heart problems. Dogs don’t need a caffeine boost to chase their tails!

*Xylitol: Found in sugar-free gum and candies, xylitol can cause a dangerous drop in blood sugar and liver failure. It’s a sweet treat for humans but a bitter danger for dogs.

*Raw Dough: Raw dough can expand in your dog’s stomach and produce alcohol, leading to bloat and alcohol poisoning. Let your dog enjoy baked goodies instead.

Onions and Garlic: While these make our food flavorful, they can damage a dog’s red blood cells, leading to anemia.

Alcohol: Dogs and cocktails do not mix. Alcohol can cause intoxication, lack of coordination, and even death.

Macadamia Nuts: These nuts can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, and tremors in dogs.

Avocado: Avocados contain persin, which can cause tummy trouble for your dog.

Cooked Bones: They may seem like a treat, but cooked bones can splinter and cause choking or digestive system damage. Stick to dog-safe chew toys.

Household Items to Avoid

What household items are dangerous for my puppy?

Medications: Human medications can be harmful or fatal to dogs. Keep all pills and potions safely out of reach.

Cleaning Products: Many cleaning products contain toxic chemicals. Your dog doesn’t need to help with housework, so keep these locked up.

Home & Garden Chemicals : Bug sprays and baits can be very toxic if ingested or even just contacted. Use with caution and keep your dog away.

Batteries: If chewed or swallowed, batteries can cause burns and poisoning. Keep them out of paw’s reach.

Household Plants: Some plants, like lilies, azaleas, and sago palms, are toxic to dogs. Know your plants and keep dangerous ones out of reach.

Small Objects: Coins, buttons, and small toys can be choking hazards. Keep these items out of your dog’s curious mouth.

Essential Oils: Some oils, like tea tree oil, can be harmful if ingested or applied to a dog’s skin. Keep oils out of reach and consult your vet before using them around your pet.

Trash: The trash can be a treasure trove of hazards, including spoiled food, sharp objects, and toxic substances. Secure your trash cans to keep your dog safe.

Poison Control

How can I tell if my dog has eaten something poisonous?

Even with the best precautions, accidents happen. Here are signs that your dog may have ingested something toxic:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Excessive drooling
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Unusual behavior

What should I do if my dog ingests something harmful?

Stay Calm: Panic doesn’t help anyone, especially your dog.

Remove the Source: Make sure your dog can’t ingest any more of the harmful substance.

Call Your Vet: Give them as much information as possible about what your dog ingested, how much, and when.

Contact Pet Poison Helpline: They can offer immediate advice and assistance. 855-764-7661.

Preventative Measures

What can we do to prevent our puppy from ingesting harmful foods?

Keep Foods Out of Reach: Store harmful foods in secure containers and out of your dog’s reach.

Secure Household Items: Ensure dangerous items are stored safely and can’t be accessed by your dog.

Pet-Proof Your Home: Regularly check for hazards and remove or secure them.

Educate Family Members: Make sure everyone in the house knows what’s dangerous for your dog.

By being aware and taking these precautions, you can keep your furry friend safe and healthy. Remember, a little prevention goes a long way!